Home ›› International ›› Visa Information

Visa Information

  1. Book a Skype Call
  2. Download Prospectus
  3. Apply Online

Obtaining a student Visa to study in New Zealand involves a few steps, we outline the process to help enable you to come and experience Media Design School.

Types of student permits

All non-New Zealand residents need a student visa or permit to study in New Zealand for academic programmes over three months in duration.

A student permit is a stamp or label in a passport that allows the holder to study in New Zealand whilst the permit is current. It usually states specifically, the course of study, the educational institution and location.

A student visa has the same information as a student permit and also allows a person to enter New Zealand.

Visa requirements vary from country to country. The New Zealand Immigration Service can provide up-to-date information on visa/permit processes and requirements for your country. To find your local representative visit http://www.immigration.govt.nz

Applying for a student visa/permit

To make an application for a Student Visa or Permit you will need to supply:

  1. A completed, signed 'Application to Study in New Zealand' (NZIS 1012) form, this can be downloaded from http://www.immigration.govt.nz the application fee
  2. Your passport (this must be valid until at least 3 months past the date you plan to leave New Zealand )
  3. A recent passport size photograph
  4. Evidence of your financial support while in New Zealand This may be: - A completed Financial Undertaking for a Student (NZIS 1014) form; or evidence of NZ$10,000 per year (and provision for a plane ticket) - if you are studying in New Zealand for under 36 weeks you must provide evidence of NZ$1,000 per month. - if you are a student from Tonga or Samoa you may supply a Sponsorship Form for visiting New Zealand (NZIS 1025) for any length of study pending an offer of a place from Media Design School.
  5. Evidence you have paid the Media Design School course fees (applicable to you)
  6. Evidence of a guarantee of accommodation
  7. Students from countries with a high incidence of Tuberculosis (TB) must include an X-ray to show they do not have TB with their visa/permit application. High incidence countries are those other than : Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Puerto Rica, San Marino, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States of America and Vatican City.
  8. Any other documents or information requested by a visa/immigration officer.

When to apply for a student visa/permit

Applications can take between 3-15 weeks to process so it is important to get your application in early. To apply for a student visa you must be accepted onto a Media Design School (MDS) qualification, have paid your tuition fees in full and made arrangements for your accommodation, travel and insurance (travel and medical). Assistance can be provided by Media Design School to find suitable accomodation.

Family members

Each family member (spouse and children) must have his or her own visa (e.g. working, visitor, student). Spouses may be issued a visitors visa when accompanying a student studying on a student visa.

Financial security while studying

To obtain a student visa you will need to provide evidence that you are able to support yourself financially through the duration of your study. You will also need to show that you have a return air ticket, or money to purchase one. You can apply to the New Zealand Immigration Service to work part-time in New Zealand during your studies. If your application is successful, you’ll be eligible to work for up to 20 hours per week during your academic year. This will be stated on your student visa.

Working after graduation

If you’re keen to stay on and work in New Zealand after your time at Media Design School, you will need a work permit. If you’re not successful in finding immediate employment upon graduation, you may apply for a 12-month open work permit, known as a Graduate Job Search Work Visa/Permit.

You must apply for this Visa within three months of completing your studies in New Zealand (you can apply from overseas). Return tickets are not required if the application is made from your home country. You must provide evidence that you have available funds of at least $NZ2,100 for living costs during the 12-month period of the open work permit. As soon as you are offered a position of employment you must then apply for a work permit/visa.

Note: The New Zealand Immigration Department requires specific visas/permits for specific activities i.e. work, student, visitor, or residency. Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service.
This can be viewed at http://www.immigration.govt.nz

If you require assistance or have any queries regarding the student visa process please contact deborah.hollier@mediadesign.school.nz

Medical and Travel Insurance

All our international students must have current medical and travel insurance to cover them for the duration of their planned period of study in New Zealand.

To ensure that you have appropriate insurance, Media Design School uses the well respected Australasian company Southern Cross as our preferred insurance provider. The Southern Cross StudentMax Plan offers you excellent Health and Travel Insurance benefits. These meet the requirements covered in the New Zealand Government’s Ministry of Education’s Code of Practice guidelines, (view more on the Code of Practice here) and it is the default insurance plan for all our new international students. You can view the schedule of benefits for the StudentMax Plan here.

How much does it cost?

A 12-month premium for the StudentMax Plan for a single student is NZD$456. Having Health and Travel Insurance is a condition of enrolment at Media Design School, and this premium will automatically be added to your fees invoice. If you already have insurance with another provider, your insurance policy will be assessed by us prior to your travel to ensure the policy meets the requirements outlined by the Code of Practice. If your alternative insurance is deemed to meet the requirements, a waiver will be issued. To have your policy assessed and a waiver issued you must complete a waiver application form and provide a copy of your policy wording to the school (in English). You can download the Waiver Application form here.

To assist you in completing the Waiver Application form, please use Media Design School's Insurance checklist to ensure your current policy meets the minimum requirements of the Code of Practice. You can download the International Insurance Checklist here.

Eligibility for health services

As an international student, you’re not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your time here, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at http://www.moh.govt.nz

Accident insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs.

For all enquiries regarding insurance please contact melizza@mediadesignschool.com

media design school environment