🔎 Search

Visas & Insurance

Apply Now
Awesome! Success Message goes here! Different based on form
SORRY! Error Message goes here!

Student Visa

You will be required to apply for a student visa if you are coming to New Zealand to study for more than three months and you are not a citizen of New Zealand or Australia or you do not hold a New Zealand residence class visa.

The New Zealand Immigration Website can provide up-to-date information on visa processes and requirements for your country.

Please check the Immigration New Zealand website.

Applying for a student visa/permit

To make an application for a Student Visa or Permit you will need to supply:

1. A completed, signed 'Student Visa Application' (NZIS 1012) form, this can also be downloaded from Immigration New Zealand.

2. Application fee - Please check for updated fees.

3. Offer of Place and invoice from Media Design School

4. Evidence you have paid the Media Design School course fees (Receipt)

3. A recent passport size photograph

4. Evidence of your financial support while in New Zealand.

This may be:

  • Evidence of NZ$15,000 per year (If you have pre-paid any living expenses, this amount can be deducted from the funds requirement. For example, if you have prepaid NZ$5000 for your accommodation, you only need to show $NZ10,000.)

A completed Financial Undertaking for a Student (NZIS 1014) form;

A completed Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry (INZ 1025) PDF [228KB] from an acceptable sponsor who will cover your accommodation and living costs

Evidence of financial assistance available to you under aid or scholarship programmes operated by the New Zealand Government,

If you are a student from Tonga or Samoa you may supply a Sponsorship Form for visiting New Zealand (NZIS 1025) for any length of study pending an offer of a place from Media Design School.

5. Your passport (this must be valid until for at least 3 months past the date you plan to leave New Zealand).

6. Evidence of a guarantee of accommodation.

7. You are required to hold appropriate and current medical and travel insurance as a condition of your visa regardless of the length of your stay in New Zealand to cover personal belongings, sickness, repatriation and loss of course fees if you need to shorten your course due to illness of yourself or a close family member. We are happy to arrange insurance for you if you request it on the Application for Enrolment.

8. Medical Certificate and Chest X-Ray Certificate - You don't need to provide a medical certificate unless the Student Visa Application Form (INZ 1012) or Student Visa Guide (INZ 1013) indicates that you should. You may need to provide a Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ 1096) if you will be in New Zealand for more than six months to show you have been screened for tuberculosis (TB) if you are from countries with a high incidence of Tuberculosis (TB).

Travel tickets out of New Zealand to a country you are allowed to enter, or evidence of enough money held in New Zealand for the purchase of your travel tickets out of New Zealand. This money should be additional to the funds you need for your living expenses.

9. Any other documents or information requested by a visa/immigration officer.

When to apply for a student visa

Applications can take at least 4 – 12 weeks to process so it is important to get your application in early. To apply for a student visa you must be accepted onto a Media Design School (MDS) qualification, have paid your tuition fees in full and made arrangements for your accommodation, travel and insurance (travel and medical). Assistance can be provided by Media Design School to find suitable accommodation.

Family members

Each family member (spouse and children) must have his or her own visa (e.g. working, visitor, student). Spouses may be issued a visitors visa when accompanying a student studying on a student visa.

Financial security while studying

To obtain a student visa you will need to provide evidence that you are able to support yourself financially through the duration of your study. You will also need to show that you have a return air ticket, or money to purchase one. You can apply to the New Zealand Immigration Service to work part-time in New Zealand during your studies. If your application is successful, you'll be eligible to work for up to 20 hours per week during your academic year. This will be stated on your student visa.

Working after graduation

If you're keen to stay on and work in New Zealand after your time at Media Design School, you will need a work visa. If you're not successful in finding immediate employment upon graduation, you may be eligible for a Post-study work visa – open for a maximum of 12 months.

To be eligible for a Post work visa (open); You must have successfully completed the qualification you were enrolled at Media Design School; You must apply for this Visa within three months of the end date of the student visa for that qualification; You must provide evidence of a minimum of NZ$4,200 available to maintain yourself during your 12-month stay in New Zealand (traveller's cheques or bank documents in your name is also accepted). When you have found a job, you can apply for a further visa for up to two or three years under the Study to Work category.

Note: Full details of visa requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service.
This can be viewed at http://www.immigration.govt.nz

If you require assistance or have any queries regarding the student visa process please contact our Student Services Manager.

Medical and Travel Insurance

All our international students must have current medical and travel insurance to cover them for the duration of their planned period of study in New Zealand.

To ensure that you have appropriate insurance, Media Design School uses the well respected Australasian company Southern Cross as our preferred insurance provider. The Southern Cross StudentMax Plan offers you excellent Health and Travel Insurance benefits. These meet the requirements covered in the New Zealand Government's Ministry of Education's Code of Practice guidelines, (view more on the Code of Practice here) and it is the default insurance plan for all our new international students. You can view the schedule of benefits for the StudentMax Plan here.

How much does it cost?

A 12-month premium for the StudentMax Plan for a single student is NZD $500. Having Health and Travel Insurance is a condition of enrolment at Media Design School, and this premium will automatically be added to your fees invoice. If you already have insurance with another provider, your insurance policy will be assessed by us prior to your travel to ensure the policy meets the requirements outlined by the Code of Practice. If your alternative insurance is deemed to meet the requirements, a waiver will be issued. To have your policy assessed and a waiver issued you must complete a waiver application form and provide a copy of your policy wording to the school (in English).

To assist you in completing the Waiver Application form, please use Media Design School's Insurance checklist to ensure your current policy meets the minimum requirements of the Code of Practice. You can download the International Insurance Checklist here.

Eligibility for health services

As an international student, you're not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your time here, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at http://www.moh.govt.nz.

Accident insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs.

For all enquiries regarding insurance please contact our Registry team at [email protected].

Hi! My name is Patricia and I'm from the Admissions team here at Media Design School. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Looking to enrol or find out more?