Bachelor of Art & Design
3D Animation & Visual Effects
- Length 3 years full time
- Indicative Fees $8,600 NZD per year
$23,690 NZD per year (International)
currency converter website
- Qualification Degree
NZQF Level 7 (420 Credits)
1.2 EFTS per year
- Note Now accepting applications for February 2014. Apply before 25 October 2013.
Next Intake Date
- 24th February 2014 View Intake Calendar
The Bachelor of Art and Design (3D Animation and Visual Effects) delivers a comprehensive technical skillset and essential project experience that prepares you for entry into global film, television, animation and game studios. Benefit from the experience of our award-winning faculty members who joined the school from Weta, Dreamworks, Disney and Universal Studios.
Student WorkView more student work
Infinite Career Possibilities
- Graduates have gone on to work on blockbuster films including Avatar and The Hobbit
- Student short films receive international recognition
- Graduates are in demand for their experience working on major projects within a studio-like environment
- Career paths include 3D modeller, compositor, VFX artist, animator, technical director and effects designer
During the first year, you will learn foundation art skills and achieve proficiency in industry-standard technical tools and software this includes an introduction to modelling, animation, rigging and visual effects.
The second year involves immersive studies in core subjects such as preproduction, scripting and dynamics. In the second term, pursue a chosen specialisation in visual effects and motion graphics, technical 3D studies or 3D Animation studies. Students retain a specialist focus for the remainder of their studies. However, all core subjects including tutorials, theory classes and art classes are taught collectively.
In year three, you will be immersed in production as you work on group and individual projects. The final year also incorporates industry procedures and practice to prepare students for industry placement.
Graduates going places
Our graduates enter the industry as highly-skilled technicians, animators and digital artists. They go on to work in the world’s biggest film studios and have worked on blockbusters like Avatar, King Kong, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Dark Knight and Harry Potter.Read their stories
|Intake Date||Course Duration||Application Deadline & Notes|
|24th February 2014||3 years full time||Apply Now|
|21st July 2014||3 years full time||Apply Now|
NCEA University Entrance or equivalent such as:
- An appropriate qualification from an overseas secondary school or tertiary institution, deemed by Media Design School to be sufficient for admission into a bachelors programme.
- CIE (University of Cambridge International Examination)
- IB (International Baccalaureate)
English Language (international applicants): Academic IELTS 6.0 (minimum), or equivalent
- 24 NCEA Credits, Level 3 in Technology, Art and Design (minimum)
If you are enrolled at a New Zealand secondary school and have not yet completed your NCEA (CIE or equivalent) qualification you can still apply now for admission. When your NCEA results are available in January, we will check them and contact you. For more detailed information about the ‘approved subject list’ and specific literacy credits we suggest you check the NZQA website
Special Admission (age over 20)
Applicants who do not meet requirements for general admission, are age 20 or more, and have relevant experience and skills may apply for special admission, which must be supported by a professional portfolio or documented industry experience.
Discretionary Admission (under age 20)
Applicants who do not meet requirements for general admission, and are at least 16 and under age 20, may apply for discretionary admission. Discretionary admission applicants should have reached a significant level of achievement in year 12, or have successfully completed a relevant foundation programme or tertiary qualification.
- Graphic or Digital Design
- 3D Models or Visualisations
- Download Portfolio Guidelines
Complete an online application and our staff will be in touch within a few days to assist you through the process. We will require some documentation and a portfolio to support your application and you may be required to complete an interview. More information can be found on the enrolment page.